Kenneth Townsend

 

Kenneth Townsend, Class of 1951

Kenneth Townsend was born in the family home, 447 South 4th Street on April 3, 1933 to T. B. Townsend, Jr. and Lynne Burntrager Townsend.  He was the youngest of four children, T. B. Townsend III, Shirley Townsend Butterworth, and Lorell Towsend Pixler.  Kenneth’s grandfather, T.B. Townsend was a Montrose pioneer, donating the land on which Montrose High  School is located.

Kenneth attended school in Montrose, graduating with the Class of 1951. During his high school years, Kenneth played third base on the 1950 Colorado State Championship Baseball Team, forward on the Colorado State Basketball Team which earned second place, and played Tight-End on the 1950 Colorado State Championship Football Team.

Kenneth attended Stanford University in Palo Alto, California, graduating in 1955.  Following his graduation from college, he served two years in the United States Navy aboard the USS Aludra and was stationed in Adak, Alaska.

Kenneth began his banking career at First National Bank, Montrose, Colorado, on October 1, 1957.  He retired as the Chief Executive Officer of the Montrose Branch of Norwest Bank on April 3, 1993.

On June 14, 1959, Kenneth married Marlene Sylvester Townsend.  They have four children, Brad of Denver, Kim of Hays, Kansas, Kerri of Glenwood Springs, and Kelli of Montrose.  They have nine grandchildren.

Kenneth is an active member of his community and spent his career giving back to Montrose in many meaningful ways, including:

  • Montrose Rotary Club, since 1963, serving at its President from 1969-1970
  • Montrose Economic Development for over forty years
  • American Red Cross, Citation for Service Award
  • Montrose Land Company, serving as its President in 1968
  • Montrose Chamber of Commerce, Community Service Award
  • Uncompahgre Valley Water Users
  • Montrose Arts Council
  • San Juan Foundation Health Care
  • Black Canyon Golf Course
  • Montrose Red Coats
  • Participated in the creation of the Montrose County Airport, Montrose Pavilion and the Aquatic Center